they're all dogs. that's what females have been told from puberty to eternity. they're all dogs, low down, dirty, no good dogs. and we can't live with 'em, and we can't live without 'em. and we certainly can't procreate without 'em. what am i talking about? men. i've heard these statements or similar ones and so have a lot of other women. but i truly believed i found the exception when i met gorgeous. so imagine my surprise yesterday.

the phone rings.


me: hello.
woman: hi, this is nancy from xyz jewelry store. is gorgeous there?
me: no, this is his wife. how can i help you?
nancy: can you let him know he left his card here?
me: his credit card?
nancy: yes.
me: i'll let him know.
nancy: thanks, hun.

(sidenote: i hate when people who sound or look like i could have babysat them at one point in their lives call me hun, babe or something of the like, but i digress.)

so, i sit there thinking and thinking. why in the world is gorgeous at a jewelry store, and why is he buying something? i quickly go through a list of acceptable women he could be buying something for.

mother's day: just passed
mother in law: birthday in october
sister: birthday in december

the list goes on, and i'm basically just getting mad. fast forward to later in the day when gorgeous gets home, and i'm at the office. i call him.

g: hello.

me: hey. xyz jewelry store called. you left your credit card there.

g: ok.

silence for a long time to be on the phone.

g: yeah i was looking for some stuff there.

me: what were you looking for?

g: oh you know i've been wanting a bracelet, so i got one.

me: ok, well you left your card, so you should go get it.

at this point i am still angry, but not as angry as i was. i know he's been wanting a gold link bracelet, which i was going to get him next month to celebrate the anniversary of our engagement.

then my analyzing skills get the best of me. i think, why was he being so evasive? what is this about 'looking for some stuff'? so, as i stew the remainder of the day at work, i'm thinking we're going to have to talk about this when i get home. because he really shouldn't be out buying big ticket items without at least having a discussion with me.

we had plans for dinner that night at our favorite place. we had our first date there, he proposed there. it's just really special to us. but it takes about an hour to get there. so while i had him trapped in the car (knowing the best way for men to have a discussion is side-by-side rather than face-to-face) i let out all my frustration and anger.

me: i feel like we're two single people living under one roof. i don't feel like we're merging together as we should. and i really wanted to buy you that bracelet next month.

because men are so perceptive.

g: you don't like it.

me: no, i like it. i just would have liked to be involved in picking it out if you were going to go get it yourself.

g: well i was there, and i just got it because i had been wanting one. and i don't feel like we're two single people living under one roof. i don't feel that way at all.

so, traffic bogs down and there's no further need to discuss the matter. so i let it drop. we drive the rest of the way to our restaurant in nearly complete silence.

fast forward to the restaurant. we're seated at a nice little cozy, romantic booth. to smooth things over i say -

me: well here we are. and we don't even have a special event to celebrate.

g: (reaches into his pocket.) well the day is special. as he hands me this xyz jewelry box.

me: (feeling very bad, a little like a low down dirty dog) what is this?

g: well, i know you think i was just out getting something for myself. but i wanted to get you this ... just because ... you're a wonderful wife.

me: (feeling really bad) i open the box to find a very beautiful 14k butterfly pendant to wear on a chain.

g: when i get back from my trip, we'll have to go pick out a chain together.

me: (trying to pull my foot out of my mouth, wipe the egg of my face, and maintain composure in front of our server and the hundreds of people in the restaurant tonight) i'm sorry. i'm still a little mad at you because i really did want to buy you a bracelet for our engagement anniversary. but thank you very much for this. *kiss*

g: well, you could always get me another bracelet. :-)

man, oh man. they say you should go with your first mind. i believed i found the exception to the rule, and i really have. amongst all the dogs and frogs in the world, i've truly found my prince!




This entry was posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 lovely comments:

    Melissa said...

    This is why you should listen to your best friend seeing as how she is so freakin' smart and said maybe he bought you sometihng!

  1. ... on Saturday, July 23, 2005  
  2. The Humanity Critic said...

    cool post, I'm digging the blog by the way.

  3. ... on Tuesday, July 26, 2005  
  4. melyssa said...

    m - i know, i know. don't you just love saying 'i told you so.'?

    thc - thanks!

  5. ... on Wednesday, July 27, 2005  
  6. Meka said...

    That's so sweet. Good for you!

  7. ... on Friday, July 29, 2005