today i had to go to see an ophthalmologist because i was seeing images floating in my line of vision. i have been experiencing this for about a week and it really was worrying and annoying me. one of my greatest fears is losing my sight, and seeing little random images really detracts from getting work done during theday.

on a quick side note - how come at every doctors' office (eye, gyno, pcp, etc.) they have a nurse or "assistant" who comes in and asks you what the problem is. you go about explaining your whole life story just for the doctor to come in and say what? -

so, what's the problem today? wth?! didn't ms. suzie q. helper relay what i just said?!

but i digress...

anyway, it's so funny how you can get yourself worked up over stuff just to be told what you probably knew in the back of your mind all along. so, i'm seeing floating images right? what does the doctor tell me i have? floaters. is there anything he can do about it? no. i just have to wait for them to settle. they are often caused when a person has been in a car accident or some other event where his or her head has experienced a jolt. no car accidents here. and i did work out the day after thanksgiving (due to guilt), but i didn't jolt my head. this is really confusing to me and i probably look just as confused as i am. so, he says

doc: sometimes they can just occur out of the blue.
me: oh really.
doc: yes. well usually with age. not really for a person of your age. but it happens. it'll last a few months.
me: so, is there anything i can do to speed this up? wear my contacts less? sleep more?
doc: well, it wouldn't hurt to let your eyes breathe a little before you go to bed. you should take out your contacts 1-2 hours prior to going to bed.
me: ok.
doc: you can also try using eye drops to keep your eyes moist and take breaks from looking at the computer screen.
me: ok.
doc: well, come see us in about nine months. if you have any trouble before then, don't hesitate to call us. it was nice meeting you.

don't hesitate to call you? for what? so, you can tell me to keep doing what i'm doing. oh brother. some doctors are truly criminal. they get all this money to tell us what we already. and we allow it. basically, i paid a copay today for peace of mind. i wanted to make sure i wasn't going blind, and he assured me that my eyes are healthy and the retina is not torn.

i guess that's what all insurance is for (car, home, health, life) = peace of mind for the just in case.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 lovely comments:

    princessdominique said...

    Carrots. I need my eyes checked bad.

  1. ... on Thursday, December 08, 2005  
  2. melyssa said...

    believe me, jackie - no one will mistake me for a person with anorexia. :-)

    (it's all a part of my plan!)

  3. ... on Friday, December 09, 2005