yesterday was the first day of my class. it was doomed from the beginning. i had meetings all day at the full-time gig. before i left i logged on to the university's website to get the latest attendance roster. i am looking at 44 students; however, when i downloaded the file i have 55 science students. so, i have to create the roster by typing in the correct 44 names by hand. i manage to get it done.

i get to the school and make ample copies of the syllabus. ok, things are looking up.

i get to class. my stool is gone. i teach a three-hour class. the stool is mandatory. (i teach in a class with stadium seating.) the desk is gone. i need the desk to set-up my laptop. so, i go "borrow" one from another classroom. i manage to simulate my set up.

i plug my laptop into the projector. no show. try the laptop settings. no show. try the projector input settings. no show. call classroom support services. someone is coming to my rescue in about 15 minutes.

in the meanwhile, i start class with my icebreaker activity. the guy from classroom support services shows up and adjusts the projector settings so that my presentation shows. ok, things are looking up.

i continue with class introduction. i start to introduce myself. the fire alarm goes off. we all must evacuate the building. long story short, there was a chemical spill at an adjacent building. i ask my students to come back to the classroom and get the syllabus so we can all go home. what a bust. it can't get any worse.

oh. yes. it. can. i walk out to the parking lot defeated. i get to the trunk of my car and click the remote. no go. click it again. no go. walk around to the driver's side door and click it a third time. no go. oh my goodness! my remote battery has died and i can't get in without the alarm going off. wait a minute. i don't park with my tires crooked.

yep, wrong car. my car was two rows up in the same spot. same make, same model, wrong row.

after the day i had, i was a little afraid to drive home for fear that i'd get into a car accident. i hope to manage better next week!


This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 lovely comments: